Final Fantasy XV is getting a lot of DLC thanks to the previously announced Season Pass and below is the season pass explained.
So, just what is Final Fantasy 15’s DLC plan?
At a basic level, there’ll be four ‘big’ DLCs, at least initially. Three of these will be all-new single-player adventures, each focusing on one of the main members of the party that accompany FF15 protagonist Noctis throughout the main game. FF15 is the first game in the series where you won’t be able to assume direct control of anybody except the lead character, but through DLC fans will thus get a chance to play as Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto.
“Each of the character-based episodes we’re doing are going to add new gameplay elements and systems and change the way the gameplay works,” Sawatari explains. “Each of those is based very much around the personality and the style of character that stars in them.”
- Their goal for the DLCs is really to focus on Noctis’ friends.
- Each DLCs includes new story elements, new gameplay experiences and new locations.
- The journalist(s) saw footage of Gladio’s DLC, it was in a cave and represented 20% of what the devs are aiming for, and that the animations still needed to be worked on.
- They saw a fight against an armored guy and it really reminded them of the Souls Saga.
- The footage ended with a more powerful boss.
- The length of each DLCs should be enough for every kind of gamer.
- The DLCs aren’t linked to Kingsglaive or Brotherhood, just the main game.
- They won’t talk about their planning until it is ready.
- The team is aware of the high demand of a DLC featuring Luna as the heroin and he said they will think about it.
- Gladio’s gameplay is action oriented , it is quite different from Noctis’ .
- Sawatari Haru Yoshi (the DLC director) worked on Bloodborne and he admits that Gladio’s gameplay has some similarities. He is happy that the journalist noticed this detail.
- From the beginning FFXV, the main game, was focused on Noctis so they aren’t worried about those who think party switching was removed to make new DLCs. The DLCs are purely additional content.
Below will be the official press release on Square Enix’s season pass plans but it is nice that the studio behind XV has a lot planed for the game regarding post-launch support.
Sources: NeoGaf VIA VG247 & Square Enix Press CenterSquare Enix Press Center
With FINAL FANTASY XV achieving gold status, development will now shift towards creation of the Season Pass ($24.99) DLC that will provide further content and ways to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XV into the year ahead.
The main focus of the Season Pass is three original episodes that take place during the events of FINAL FANTASY XV. Each episode allows players to take control of one of Noctis’ comrades in all-new adventures that offer unique play styles tailored to each character. Players can explore previously unseen areas filled with new monsters, and even obtain weapons that can later be used in the main game. Episode Gladiolus is the first new character adventure to arrive, and will be followed by Episode Ignis and Episode Prompto. Each episode will be available for purchase individually.
Following the release of the character episodes, Comrades—an expansion pack for FINAL FANTASY XV—will introduce a brand-new online co-op mode for up to four players which features intense battles allowing players to take full control of Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as a group. Comrades will be available for separate purchase, and is also included in the Season Pass.
This additional content and character episodes are managed by Haruyoshi Sawatari (Producer, Business Division 2) and overseen by FINAL FANTASY XV Director Hajime Tabata with development led by core members of the FINAL FANTASY XV team.
“Last year I travelled around the world and attended many game events. I felt an amazing passion and sense of expectation towards FINAL FANTASY XV from series fans everywhere,” said Sawatari. “From seeing that I really wanted to make it so that the fans could enjoy the game for longer and evolve and expand it even further. I will take these feelings and give them form, to deliver an amazing experience.”